Making a decision to move to an evidence-based practice and taking the step towards collecting, analyzing and reporting on patient outcomes is a daunting one. Much is at stake and there are many factors to consider. We’ve compiled a list of items, questions and/or considerations as you embark upon this journey. This checklist on how to choose a data registry partner should help you find that fit with the right product and company.
Data Capture and Accessibility
- Is the data exclusively owned by you?
- Can reports be generated by multiple clinicians and administrators
- Will you have unlimited access to reports?
- Will you have 24/7 access to data? (Insist for a live demo and demand to see how data access actually works)
- Is it cloud-based to ensure access from any connected device?
- Data capture process: Is it comprehensive, with pre-programmed PROs and depth of detail on implants?
- View real-time results via queries?
- Benchmark against national standards?
- Generate customized data sets – by surgeon or case-specific?
- Share data and collaborate seamlessly?
- Access client support staff who understand orthopaedics?
- Identify patients affected by implant recalls within hours?
Security & Implementation
- Is it HIPAA compliant with encrypted data?
- Have you worked with large-scale registries?
- Experience implementing on multiple sites?
- How does the migration and integration of existing data from other systems work?
- Can you provide references from leading surgeons and health systems?
Ease of Use & Efficiency
- Does it interface with EMR/EMR to avoid double entry of data?
- Can we automate surgical notes to eliminate transcription needs (and dictation)?
- Is it easy to use in the OR?
- How much involvement does it require from the physician?
- What options does it provide for patient outcome collection – kiosks, iPad or at-home?
Our final recommendation for your data partner search is that you find out more about the implementation process. It’s one thing to invest in technology, but will your partner guide you in implementation? Depending on your in-house capabilities, you may want a partner that will carefully walk you through adoption and advise you along the way. Ortech not only supports the implementation process, we ensure you’re extracting the most useful reports from your data. The journey to evidence-based orthopaedics is just that important.